I'm not sure if I've mentioned my that my Grandmother has end stage metastatic disease from breast cancer, but she does... and it's progressing. She has battled breast cancer for a very long time now (at least 15 years, maybe even 20) and, while I may seem pessimistic to some, she is starting to lose the fight. The cancer has spread into her brain, and well it is not looking very good.
So, what do we do? What can we do? Well, while there is not much that Rick and I can do on the medical side of things, what we can do is to support, love and offer companionship to her as often as we can. So, we made the decision to spend as much time with her as possible, during the remaining time God has given her. Additionally, there is a special bond that Grandma and Bekah have... and I want Bekah to have as many special memories of her Great Grandma as we can give her.
To that end, we headed up to Michigan last weekend for a visit (a great big thank you goes out to Aunt Sandy for hosting us with such short notice!) that turned into a Pre-thanksgiving Celebration!
What a wonderful time. Uncle Tracy and Aunt Lynette were able to come over for dinner, as well as Grandma (of course!). Aunt Sandy cooked up a fabulous meal with turkey, lots of sides and desserts. It was great. But ya know what the best part was, seeing Bekah's face light up when she saw Grandma! It was wonderful, and you almost couldn't separate the two that entire day!
Me, Bekah, Brandon, and Grandma (and Dasiy Mae - the puppy)
The next day we headed home, but not before taking Grandma out to breakfast and stopping at the care home to see Grandpa. It was crazy! He and Bekah hadn't seen each other in quite a while (almost 2 years), and it seems like they just saw each other. She ran right up to him, hugged and kissed him, told him she loved him! What a blessing. Grandpa was very happy to see her too, he kept looking at her, smiling, and saying amazing.
Me and Grandpa
It was such a blessed visit, and I am looking forward to heading back for Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment