Thursday, November 26, 2009

Dashing for Drumsticks!!!

Last year on Thanksgiving morning, some friends and I ran the Drumstick Dash. I had just started running a couple months before that (in September), was very excited to be running my first race, and with good friends who had supported me during my weight loss! What made the event even better was that the proceeds of the run went to Wheeler Mission Minstries (proving food and shelter to those in need). Our times were not that great... there was a lot of people at the event, almost 7000, and many of them were not in the appropriate corrals (how fast their run pace is). That led to a lot of weaving in and out between the walkers and slower runners. My friends and I did the the short course (2.7 miles, the long course was 4.5 miles) because I hadn't been running long, and we completed it in 35.50 min (or a 13.1 min/mile pace).

It was a great time!

This morning, I ran the Drumstick Dash again. My friends weren't able to run with me this year because they are pregnant (well, she is... and he is taking care of their 2 year old!), but I did meet up with some other friends from TNT at the run! I had planned on doing the long course, even though I have been battling IT band issues for a couple of months (which tends to flare up about a mile or so into the run), but ended up ditching at the turn around point for the short course. My knee started acting up right about the 2 mile mark (progress! Like I mentioned, it usually happens right about a mile into the runs), so I decided that it was in my best interest to run the short course (and good thing... my knee hurts!).

My time was good, not like I was used to before I got hurt, but better then last time. I finished the run in 30.05 (an 11.1 min/mile pace).

I would have liked to do the long course. It sucks when endurance wise I know I could do it, but my knee wouldn't let me. However, that is the longest I've run since I got hurt... so not too bad.

I'll work on it more, and next year will be doing the whole thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment