Sunday, March 15, 2009

Let There be Light

So we have been living in semi darkness for some time now. You see, when we bought our house there was some really bad track style lighting in the living room. I'm sure you know the kind that we had, it's the style where the light fixture actually plugs into the electrical wire. The wire was spliced into cheap dimmer switches (that kept falling apart), and then a plug ran from the dimmer to an outlet. All of this was stuck to the walls with double sided tape.

Really high class.

We had always planned to replace it, but when Rick deployed and we had Bekah, we just never got around to doing it. We got an unpleasant reminder that the lighting needed worked on when one day, as I was sitting in the living room, the dimmer switches started to buzz and ultimately went out. We limped along the best that we could (in semi darkness), but finally couldn't take it anymore. After a trip to Lowe's, we had lighting... but then had to install it. After a few discussions about the installation, none of which I could add anything of value (except that I didn't care about the where or how to place the lights... I just wanted lighting), the decision was made to call in some help in the form of my Dad. The men consulted, doing the manly thing, while Bekah and I went shopping, doing the girlie thing, and then the men decided that they needed more lighting stuff.

So, off they went to Lowe's. Two men alone in a DIY store... uhm, not the greatest idea. However, I have to hand it to them... they restrained themselves nicely and only bought what they needed.

Anyway, at the end of the day (and I mean the end of the day... it was a multi hour project that spanned lunch, Bekah's nap, and dinner) we finally had new lighting. I never would have expected that it would take so long or be so difficult (or dirty). Evidently the men had to run wire from the basement to the living room, up a wall, and ended up hiding them in ceiling beams.

Wow! What a project... but now we have light.
Finally!
Rick makiing a mess of the living room (dontcha just love the pink walls - they came with the house!)
Rick and Dad doing the "man thing" in the baserment
and the final (almost) product. Still need floors and paint, but a new roof is paramount!

1 comment: