Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bekah's Bathroom "Make-up Counter" Make-over

When we bought our house five years ago, we knew that it needed updating. We also knew that it was something we were going to tackle one room at a time. We had grand plans... opening the kitchen up into the dining room, pulling up all the carpet and refinishing the hardwood floors, remodeling the two baths upstairs, opening the stairwell to the upstairs, basement... many, many plans. Like with many people however, life got in the way of our plans. Shortly after we moved in, I found out that I was pregnant with Bekah and Rick received orders to deploy. Well that effectively put our plans to remodel on hold, and here we now sit five years later still planning to remodel (but we are slowly chipping away at the list of what we want to do.


One thing that has been on the list for some time now is to do a make-over of the hall bathroom (Bekah's bath). You see, that bath is what I would consider the worst style offender in the house. It is outdated and just plain U.G.L.Y. Poor Bekah has had to use that bath since she was born (well, since she graduated from the infant tub that is), and now that she is four it is more then time to do a make-over. Not a full gut and re-do, that will have to wait until a later date because of the extent of the remodel that will need to happen (we need to pull out the tub - and throw it away, replace subfloor, green board, etc). No, this is what I call a "make-up counter" make-over. You know the type of make-over... some paint, new accessories. Something to just pretty it up for a growing little girl.


I think, all in all we spent less then $100 on the make-over. I used a lot of what we had on hand (extra paints from other projects, left over flooring from Mom and Dad's remodel - thanks guys!) and only had to by some replacement trim and some accessories!


This is what we had to work with. Yuck, I know.




I started out taping off and applying a coat of pink paint (Bekah's most ever in the whole world, favorite color). Just a new coat of paint made a huge difference in how the room looked!




I had planned to stripe the walls with grey paint left over from my bathroom project, but realized that we had used it all up! Oops! So after looking at what paint we had left, I decided to mix a dark blue with cream colored paint to make a light blue color. That turned out pretty, so I used it to stripe the walls and paint the vanity. Rick put the flooring down and the trim, and I decorated! 

I bought these really sweat metal initials at Hobby Lobby, painted the flowers and dots on them, replaced the ribbon to hang them... and viola! (I also painted her existing outlet and light switch covers the same way). For the towel bar, I found this wooden coat holder and replaced the wood knobs with door pulls.



The shower curtain is a technique shamelessly stolen from a blog I read, and is a no sew application. It literally took me 5 minutes to get them up!



All in all, it was a very successful make-over... and made for a very happy (and very girlie four year old!




1 comment:

  1. What a sweet make-over! I'm sure your daughter feels like a little princess!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete