Bah, just kill me now.
There are two that we are "required" to go to. The first being the Red Leg (which we got out of this year, so I won't bore you with details of that party), and the second is the unit family party.
There is no way to get out of that party.
In the past, it's been an unprecedented bore. All the wives standing around staring at each other, because we don't really know anyone, and the kids running around like crazy while the soldiers chat with one another.
This year started out like any other family day... kids bored and running crazy, wives not socializing because we don't know anyone, the soldiers... well, they had classes to take. Which left their families with nothing to do for two whole hours! The kids were going crazy... and after making enough small talk to numb my mind, and watching yet another bored kid get into a shoving match, I had a brilliant idea (if I say so myself).
I organized a game of tag for the kids! They loved it and were running all over the armory! Shortly after the tag game started, the 4H lady showed up to do crafts with the kids. Crafts... Bekah was all over that! Anything with glue, glitter and scissors.. count her in!
So the party started to turn around. The guys were released from their classes, the kids were having a good time, and we were just getting ready to eat when in drives a Humvee.
What in the world! All I could see what something red in the passenger side of the truck. Then he got out and I got a good look...
IT WAS SANTA!
Special delivery, by the military! The kids lost it! And Bekah, I have never seen her so excited! In the past, she has always shied away from Santa. Not this year! She ran right up and got in line to see him. She sat on his lap, told him what she wanted for Christmas, got her picture taken, and got her gifts (a pink bear, and a bag with a baby doll, clothes, and bottle in it). She loved Santa so much, that she tried to go back three times to give him hugs!
Rick even got into the action... he got drafted into playing elf for Santa (aww, now how cute is that!).
All in all, it wasn't that bad of a family day! (but don't ever tell that I said that!)
No comments:
Post a Comment